Monday, August 31, 2015

Blog Post 1

     Computers are an important part of today's education because technology has become so integral in daily life that it is a necessary tool to teach students. Not only should students be taught how to use the computer itself, but they should also be taught how to utilize the computer for various subjects and daily life. Standards set by organizations such as the AECT, ISTE, P21, among others, are on the right path because they make sure that teachers are up to date on new technology and knowledge on how best to educate their students on computer usage. These standards allow students to comprehend new software as it comes out, which helps them to adapt to the ever evolving world of technology. I agree that teachers should stay updated on new technology and the standards that come with it. Teachers must know what they're talking about if they want to lead students in the way of education and technology.
     Computers are great tools for the classroom. I would want to use them in my classroom for researching topics related to the lesson plan and working on online assignments and projects. Social media, to an extent, is a great tool for learning as well. I don't believe that younger children should have social media accounts at all, let alone for school. I would only use social media if I were a high school teacher because high school students are more mature and adept at using social media. Twitter is a great tool to use because it allows for instant access and communication between student and teacher. Twitter allows students to ask questions once they've left classroom and allows the teacher to provide links to additional links to further interest students in the topics that they are learning about. This class will teach me about how to best integrate technology into a smooth, efficient classroom environment that will help each individual student learn the best they can.
     I agree that the term 'digital native' is accurate in regards to the current generation, myself included. I have always used technology in both my daily life as well as in school. Technology use is easier for me than it is for my parents and teachers because I have grown up on using it, while they have learned it later in their life. Technology is more crucial in the life of a digital native than it is to the digital immigrant. Digital immigrants are more likely to limit technology use to work or school settings, while natives will use it in all aspects of their schedule. There will definitely be differences between myself and my future students when it comes to technology. Technology is always evolving and I will soon not be able to comprehend the new systems as easily as I do now. My students will be better able to understand future systems because that is what they are used to.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog post, Elizabeth! I think you make a great point about using Twitter in a high school setting, since the students are more mature. I also like that you acknowledged that your future students will likely have a better understanding of new technology- definitely something that is a bit intimidating for a teacher!

    ReplyDelete