Monday, October 26, 2015

Blog Post 8

       The technology advancement that I feel will be most crucial to future education is 3D printing. 3D printing will be helpful in classrooms because it can replicate learning tools that we do not have access to now such as replicas of organs, molecules, fossils, etc. Having 3D models will allows students to better understand and visualize the topic that they are studying. 3D printing would also be a great tool in art education because students can see replicas of other art pieces as well as seeing their own projects come to life in a physical form.
      One piece of technology that I believe will become big in future education is the flexible display feature. Smartphones are beginning to work on flexible display for some products but it has not truly hit the mainstream yet. I believe that flexible display will become big in classrooms because they are built to be more durable than regular screens which is good when working with young children. Also, flexible display note-taking may become big because it saves on paper and is super lightweight.
http://www.flexible-display.net/
       Within the digital divide, I am definitely on the side that has consistent access to technology. I have my own laptop, smartphone, and tablet and if anything breaks, I have easy access to public computers at the library as well. I use technology every single day both in the academic setting and personally. The divide will affect my classroom because I will have students who are very fluent in technology and have easy access to computers and other tools; but I will also have students who do not have that kind of consistent access and will not be as well versed in technology or Internet usage. I will address the divide by teaching technology in the classroom, allowing the students who are not as technical to catch up. I will try to avoid assigning take home work that involves a computer, but when I do, I will allow time in class or in a computer lab to work on it.       

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Elizabeth! Teaching technology in your future classroom is an excellent way to fill the gap created by the digital divide. Also, consider assigning "peer mentors" so that students who are more experienced can help the other students.

    ReplyDelete